Re: Platform independant shell test

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Platform independant shell test
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:51:07 -0400

%% Jason Pearce <address@hidden> writes:

  jp>        if [ -e amdtest-cfg.do ]; then \

  jp> Whats the trick with Solaris? Thanks.

What version of Solaris?  The -e option to "test" is not portable to
older versions of UNIX.  Also (as on Solaris) some /bin/sh shells have
"test" as a builtin and those builtins don't support it.

You can use -f instead, if the thing you're looking for is going to be a
file.  Or, you can use -r if you know it's readable.  Those are both
more portable.