Re: multiple targets in one rule

From: Dale King
Subject: Re: multiple targets in one rule
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:02:38 -0500

Paul D. Smith wrote:

which is not what you want.  You need to use pattern rules;
unfortunately they only work if there is a commonality between the
target(s) and prerequisite(s).  Change the name of your input file to
Python.g (or change the name of the output files to "python*"), then:

This is something I would like to see corrected. There needs to be a simple way to express that two targets are created together using the same rule without resorting to patterns. The only question would be the syntax.

Two possibilities come to my mind either grouping the targets:

[ foo bar baz ] : biz
   @...

Or to use a different separator from the plain colon like:

foo bar baz &: biz
  @...

&: is only a random choice. There may be better choices.

And as I pointed out recently this is a big concern when start trying to parallel makes. Having it generate the files multiple times with parallel make may mean you are generating it when someone is reading the generated file.