$(shell ..) testing for the exit value

From: Abramovitz, Norman
Subject: $(shell ..) testing for the exit value
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:11:09 -0700

GNU make 3.80

When using the $(shell ..) function, is there a way to retrieve the shell's exit value?  The output from the invocation is parsed by foreach and eval so I cannot
return a string as an exit code.  The following two lines are executed outside any rules.

space:=${empty} ${empty}
$(foreach var,$(shell ./brand_mk.sh -e makefile),$(eval $(subst @,${space},$(var))))

The shell script normally return values like
OSTYPE=AIX
address@hidden
NUMOSVERSION=5200
address@hidden

I guess I could try to return $(error) function but that seems more complicated than just testing the shell's exit value by using $(if) function.

Norman Abramovitz