Re: suppressing shell error output

From: Martin Sebor
Subject: Re: suppressing shell error output
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:23:40 -0600

Paul D. Smith wrote:
[...]
  ms> It seems that make should provide a mechanism to do it. After all,
  ms> it lets users decide what to do with the shell error output in all
  ms> other cases.

Such as when...?  Make never redirects shell output, error or otherwise,
that I can think of... $(shell ...) is the special case in that it traps
stdout and returns it as the result of the function evaluation.

I thought the @ character did that. My mistake. I still think it would
be useful if there was a simple way to do it but I see that even the
shell itself doesn't let me selectively silence its errors. So never
mind, I'll just use my hack.

Martin