Re: how to give a BASE directory for "make install"?

From: Wenbin Zhang
Subject: Re: how to give a BASE directory for "make install"?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:20:20 -0400

Hi Dave,

Both the two method work, either adding "--prefix=$BASE" during configuration phase, or assigning BASE during "make install" phase. That's what I need.

Thank you very much!
Wenbin

On 3/20/07, Dave Korn <address@hidden> wrote:
On 20 March 2007 10:37, Wenbin Zhang wrote:

> Hello, guys,
>
> How can I give a BASE dir for "make install"?
> Normally, when I run "make install", the compiled files will be copy to
> /usr/sbin, /usr/lib and some other corrosponding direcories. However, if I
> want to copy them to a filesystem under $BASE, say, I want to copy them to
> $BASE/usr/bin, $BASE/usr/lib, how can I achieve this simply?

  All your $BASE are belong to $prefix.

  :)

  If that's a little obscure, what I mean is that what you describe as BASE is
known to the configure script as 'prefix'.  The ideal way to get "make
install" to do what you want is by providing the option "--prefix=$BASE" when
you run the configure command.

  I haven't checked whether it applies to make, but for a lot of gnu
configure-based software, you can also run "make install DESTDIR=$BASE" to
change where it installs if you forgot to specify --prefix at configure time.

    cheers,
      DaveK