RE: Suggestion of implementing a feature for the next Google Summer ofCo

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Suggestion of implementing a feature for the next Google Summer ofCode.
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:52:55 -0000

On 20 March 2007 11:50, Ramón García wrote:

> I am interested in implementing feature request of GNU make (which I wrote)
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?18617
> about enhancing debugging capabilities, in order to make it easier to
> understand how makefiles written by others work. This is a problem
> that I often encouter.

  Can I suggest you take a look at 'remake':

http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/remake/

  This does everything I think you're thinking of by way of diagnostics and
debugging facilities, I have found it invaluable.  Any of the code it contains
might make a good starting point for a similar project, or perhaps it might be
possible to get a concensus behind merging remake's added functionality into
mainline GNU make?

  Paul (PING!), have you and Rockyb (remake maintainer) ever had discussions
along these lines?

    cheers,
      DaveK