Re: 'Unexpected end of line seen' error while building CSSL using GNU ma

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: 'Unexpected end of line seen' error while building CSSL using GNU make.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:42:59 +0000

On 2007-4-4 21:41 UTC, Swaroop Sugunan wrote:

> bash-3.00# /export/meta/make3.79.1/make-3.79.1/make nodeps:=yes
> 64bit:=yes product
> make  nodeps:=yes prd
> make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 12: Unexpected end of line seen

Isn't that message from solaris make?

> bash-3.00# /export/meta/make3.79.1/make-3.79.1/make -v
> GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.

Even if you're invoking gnu make for a top-level
makefile, a submakefile might be using a different make.
The usual way to prevent that is to use the $(MAKE)
variable, but I don't see any recursive invocation in
the code you've shown.

> The make file that we use is
[...]

That file's line 12 is probably here:

> product := C/SSL

  http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~pjj/cs2121/debug.html#make1
suggests that some rule lacks a leading tab. That line
doesn't look like a rule, but you've tried adding tabs
anyway, to no avail:

> If we replace the := with a = then the line number keeps going to the
> next line which has :=. If we replace all the := with =, then it ends
> with "nothing to do with product". I have also tried to remove the blank
> lines and in the makefile. I have also added a tab character before all
> the rules. It does not help.

I would guess that some other makefile, which is somehow
being made by solaris make, has a rule on its line 12
that lacks a leading tab.