Re: 'Unexpected end of line seen' error while building CSSL using GNU ma

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: 'Unexpected end of line seen' error while building CSSL using GNU make.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:33:48 -0400

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 03:11 +0530, Swaroop Sugunan wrote:
> # /export/meta/make3.79.1/make-3.79.1/make nodeps:=yes 64bit:=yes product
> make  nodeps:=yes prd
> make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 12: Unexpected end of line seen

Greg is exactly right.

This message is not being emitted by GNU make; all GNU make errors have
identical format, with "***" in the message.

He's also right about the cause: your makefile is invoking a recursive
make, and it's running "make" directly rather than using the "$(MAKE)"
variable, so you're getting whatever "make" happens to be on your PATH
rather than the one you invoked from the command line.

He missed it, but it's clear from second line in the above snippet that
your makefile IS invoking another make, and that it's just "make" and
not "/export/meta/make3.79.1/make-3.79.1-make"