RE: how to instruct gmake to read included fragmented makefiles paralall

From: Divakar Venkata (divvenka)
Subject: RE: how to instruct gmake to read included fragmented makefiles paralally..
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 03:30:33 +0530

-----Original Message-----
From: David Boyce [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: how to instruct gmake to read included fragmented makefiles
paralally..

At 03:44 AM 6/21/2007, Philip Guenther wrote:
>On 6/21/07, Divakar Venkata (divvenka) <address@hidden> wrote:
>>We use non-recursive make system with over 1000+ fragmented makefiles
>>all over source code. We have seen make spending lot of time in
>>reading these files and calculating dependency graph before starting
>>build.

>I also agree with Philip, with a couple of additional points:
>1>. I measure the parsing phase by adding a phony target called
"nothing". Then, running
>       time make nothing
>should, in theory, do a good job approximating the cost of the first
>(parse) phase.
>2. I have a similar non-recursive, include-based build model. The
number of our makefile fragments is smaller >(~>250) but each is large
(lots of lines) and dense (long lines). Here is the report issued by wc
(characters,
>words, bytes) for my makefile set:
>         69530  351573 6729699 total

thanks much for your replies..
here is more details..

o. we have a rules file which gets included
in the beginning of each fragmented makefile
and then their targets go after that.

o. And a post file inclusion at the end of makefile
to reset some variables etc..

o. rules file is about 30kb and fragmented makefile is
anywhere between 1.5kb to 4kb.

o. We use -MD -MF flags of compiler to create makedependencies
for each object file and include them too before compilation..
And these files are ~40kb

o. We need to include this rules file in all fragmented
makefiles as they sets variables by using which rules
gets created..

o. I have seen it takes anywhere between 5 to 10mins..(depending
on system load).

o. we use netapp filer and mount it onto our RHEL 3 machines
where make runs..

really appreciate your responses..
Divakar