Fun With Indirection

From: David A. Greene
Subject: Fun With Indirection
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:07:41 -0500

Here's a puzzler.  Using the test.mk attached, I get the output I expect
with a "make all:"

VARa1 = var1
VARa2 =
vara1 yes
testa done!
VARb1 = var1
VARb2 =
varb1 yes
testb done!

However, if I uncomment one of the lines calling testera or testerb, I get
a "missing separator" error.  I might have expected both $(info) calls to
fire when passing args 3 and 4 to testa/testb (which isn't what I want)
but I don't see any syntax problems.

Any ideas?

How can I properly delay the $(info) calls to only fire under the $(if) in
the testa/testb rules?  Assume the call depth is arbitrary.

Thanks.

                                                 -Dave