Re: Fun With Indirection

From: David A. Greene
Subject: Re: Fun With Indirection
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:19:58 -0500

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 23:07, David A. Greene wrote:

> However, if I uncomment one of the lines calling testera or testerb, I get
> a "missing separator" error.

Ok, I determined that I can eliminate the error by doing this:

__sink := $(call testera,VAR1,VAR2,$$(info var1 yes),$$(info var2 yes))
__sink := $(call testerb,VAR1,VAR2,test1,test2)

So what's going on here?  testa and testb define Makefile fragments and
I wouldn't have thought these functions would "return" anything to their
call sites.  Things also work if I do $(eval $(call testera,...).

If I do this:

$(info sink = $(__sink)blah)

I see this on a "make all":

sink = blah

There's nothing actually returned into __sink.  So what gives?  Why the
missing separator/parse error?

                                                -Dave