Re: override and +=

From: Michael Morrell
Subject: Re: override and +=
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:29:32 -0800 (PST)

Greg,

> This line
>   override F := "a b c"
> prevails     *even if* you set F on the command line,
> rather than  *only if* you set F on the command line.

I don't see the distinction here if you haven't set F on the command line,
but the behavior of this line by itself is not my question.

> Write 'override' again:
>   override F += d

That works, but I don't see why.  I have now tried all four combinations
of these two lines (each with and without "override").  The other 3 cases
make sense to me, but this one does not.  It appears that if the initial
assignment is an "override" assigment, a "normal" += is always ignored.
I'm not sure I want to call that a bug, but I would at least like to see
a warning here that a line in my Makefile is always ignored and has no
effect (and is therefore likely to be a bug).

   Michael

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs