Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:36:52 -0500

Seems to me this whole thread is missing an intermediate test. All the
discussion so far has been on terminal output vs cron. But if the
issue is buffering we should expect to see the same problem when
dumping output into a file without cron (eg "make > make.log 2>&1"),
no? So why not try that? If the problem is gone, it must be very
specifically related to cron and not terminal-vs-file. I don't usually
see garbling when logging to a file but, as Paul says, it's a property
of the toolchain.

If you have Expect installed, there's a little program that comes with
it which emulates a tty for this purpose. ISTR it's called "unbuffer".

David Boyce