Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Alexander Kriegisch
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:33:01 +0100

> I've not yet investigated the problem, but when running with -j4, a
> lot of the jobs were simply not run or only partially done. I'm not
> entirely certain about how to track this down - your thoughts would
> be much appreciated.

I cannot say for sure, but I would suspect that some dependencies are
not depicted correctly in your makefiles. Something which could also
complicate things is resursive make which, as we all know, is to be
considered harmful. ;-) If you do use recursive make within your own
realm (i.e. your own makefiles, not external ones you cannot influence),
you might want to refactor them to one big logical makefile with
included sub-files.

Sorry for speculating so much, but I do not know enought about your
environment.
--
Alexander Kriegisch
Certified ScrumMaster