Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:15:46 +0200

> From: Per Jessen <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:40:58 +0100
> Y-Perjessen: Fri Feb 29 12:40:58 CET 2008
>
> I ran it with -d and -j4, but in a terminal which as expected worked
> just fine.  Output:  http://jessen.ch/files/make-d-j4-debug1.gz
>
> Then I ran under cron - the output is truncated, and it never made it to
> the emails and send targets:
>
> http://jessen.ch/files/make-d-j4-debug2.gz

Diffing these two shows that make-d-j4-debug2.gz output includes outputs
such as the one below that are entirely absent from make-d-j4-debug1.gz:

    timian 0.3.7 / xalan 1.8.0 / xerces 2.5.0 / i686-pc-linux-gnu
    built: 200504281626
    Locale: de_DE.utf8 selected.
    timian executable is from: '/var/lib/spamchek/quarantinereports/timian'
    current directory is: '/var/lib/spamchek/quarantinereports'
    Using report spec from
'/var/lib/spamchek/quarantinereports/e8/68/address@hidden'.

Why only debug2 has these? are you running Make in two different ways
somehow?

Also, it looks like Make is considering your targets several times,
for some reason.  For example, the following passage appears several
times in the output (8 times in the full session debug1, to be precise):

    Updating goal targets....
    Considering target file `all'.
     File `all' does not exist.
      Considering target file `userlist'.
       File `userlist' does not exist.
       Looking for an implicit rule for `userlist'.
       No implicit rule found for `userlist'.
        Considering target file `e8/68/address@hidden'.
         File `e8/68/address@hidden' does not exist.
         Looking for an implicit rule for `e8/68/address@hidden'.

Can you tell why Make is apparently trying to remake `all' several
times?