Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Per Jessen
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:55:08 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Diffing these two shows that make-d-j4-debug2.gz output includes
> outputs such as the one below that are entirely absent from
> make-d-j4-debug1.gz:
>
>     timian 0.3.7 / xalan 1.8.0 / xerces 2.5.0 / i686-pc-linux-gnu
>     built: 200504281626
>     Locale: de_DE.utf8 selected.
>     timian executable is from:
>     '/var/lib/spamchek/quarantinereports/timian' current directory is:
>     '/var/lib/spamchek/quarantinereports' Using report spec from
>     '/var/lib/spamchek/quarantinereports/e8/68/address@hidden'.
>
> Why only debug2 has these? are you running Make in two different ways
> somehow?

I haven't checked the source code, but I'm pretty certain the lines
above are written stderr.  When I ran make in a terminal, I just piped
the output to 'tee <file>'.  I'm just now running the same test, but
writing both stdout and sterr to <file>.

OK, those lines are now also present in the output.  See
http://jessen.ch/files/make-d-j4-debug1a.gz

> Also, it looks like Make is considering your targets several times,
> for some reason.  For example, the following passage appears several
> times in the output (8 times in the full session debug1, to be
> precise):
>
>     Updating goal targets....
>     Considering target file `all'.
>      File `all' does not exist.
>       Considering target file `userlist'.
>        File `userlist' does not exist.
>        Looking for an implicit rule for `userlist'.
>        No implicit rule found for `userlist'.
> Considering target file `e8/68/address@hidden'.
> File `e8/68/address@hidden' does not exist.
> Looking for an implicit rule for
> `e8/68/address@hidden'.
>
> Can you tell why Make is apparently trying to remake `all' several
> times?

I have absolutely no idea.  The dependencies look like this:

all:   userlist
        <additional commands to be run when userlist is built>
        <basically a summary of the overall run>

userlist: \
e8/68/EMAILADDR.send \
6d/25/EMAILADDR.send \
47/d3/EMAILADDR.send \
03/b9/EMAILADDR.send \
89/51/EMAILADDR.send \
59/f0/EMAILADDR.send \
[90 in total for this test]

'userlist' is never created as a file, but it's not declared .PHONY
either.

/Per Jessen, Zürich