RE: missing separator stop <- looking to quickly solve that

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: missing separator stop <- looking to quickly solve that
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:48:01 +0100

Paul Smith wrote on 10 June 2008 13:03:

> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 05:40 -0400, wac wrote:
>> I'm looking forward to deactivate the TAB-SPACE "feature" of make that
>> is not letting me advance. Is there a switch, env variable, patch to
>> makefile or whatever that can remove that. I mean I can't be changing
>> a zillion makefiles since that is not productive at all therefore I
>> won't. At least not now. Maybe in the future I could build sort of
>> "upgrade" script that pases makefiles and rewrites them in compliant
>> form but time matters therefore I won't be doing that now. If later is
>> not available wich was the latest version that doesn't have the POSIX
>> enforcement? I could try a downgrade, even with bugs. I don't care.
>
> I don't know what "TAB-SPACE "feature"" of make you're talking about.
>
> If you provide some useful detail you might get an answer.

  Reading between the lines, OP has a makefile that apparently uses spaces
where TABs are required at the start of commandlines.

  This means that either 1) OP has written makefiles that were incorrect all
along, or 2) some editor has mangled all OP's makefiles by converting TAB to
spaces.  Or perhaps 3) OP isn't telling us that these are originally
makefiles for NMAKE, and OP hasn't realised that TABs-vs-spaces is only the
first and simplest part of the porting job that will be needed.

    cheers,
      DaveK