Re: dependencies in other folders

From: Eduardo Suárez
Subject: Re: dependencies in other folders
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:17:40 +0100

Philip Guenther wrote:
Sorry, let me clarify: right now, Eduardo's makefile contains rules
for copying files from other directories to the current directory.  It
may be possible to simply remove those rules and instead specify the
other directories via VPATH or vpath.
I haven't understood this. Are there examples available somewhere?

If the local copies of those
files are just used as prerequisites for other targets whose rules
only reference them via automatic variables such as $< or $?, then
that'll Just Work.  If they are used indirectly or are referenced by
name instead of via automatic variables then that won't work.
This also is not clear for me. Are there examples in the info page?

Thanks a lof for your comments.