How to write an elegant makefile with -fprofile-generate and -fprofile-u

From: David Bruant
Subject: How to write an elegant makefile with -fprofile-generate and -fprofile-use ?
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:57:34 +0200

Hi !

To improve a program in C language, I want to use -fprofile-generate and
-fprofile-use, but, my program is a backtrack algorithm that is not
going to end. Consequently, I have to compile once with
-fprofile-generate, run the program, then end it thanks to a kill
-SIGUSR1 and compile another time with -fprofile-use, but, in a
makefile, I cannot use create a toto.o rule twice which is what I need
to create the good toto.gdca file first, then use this file for another
compilation.
So, I'm looking for an idea to compile twice the same program (with the
same .o) with different option.
Could you help me ?

David Bruant