Re: Installing make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Installing make
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:35:42 -0400

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 09:19 -0400, Emilie Steffen wrote:
> I am trying to download gnu make from your site, but when I do, I am
> unable to install the program.  The tarred file from your site is a
> list of directories but no installer.  I would appreciate any advice
> you have on how to install your program on a mac running MAC OS 10.5
> (leopard).

You already had one response but just for your information: GNU make is
free software, and free software packages you download typically do not
contain executable programs such as you would get from a proprietary
software company.

Instead, those packages contain the source code for the program.  You
need to compile that code on your computer to get the executable program
that you can then run.

See the README and the INSTALL files contained in the package you
downloaded for instructions if you want to pursue this.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us