Case-folding target dependency (newbie)

From: Gustav Broberg
Subject: Case-folding target dependency (newbie)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:04:03 +0200

Hi,

Is the following possible with GNU Make?

  I want to create a rule that states that any target <name>.xxx
  depends on <name> uppercased. In code, something along the lines of:

  %.xxx : uppercase(%)

  I know it's possible to do operations like this on variables, for
  example: "UPPERCASED_VAR = $(shell echo $(VAR) | tr a-z A-Z)", but
  it seems it's not for patterns.

  To give you a more concrete example: I have some documents named
  "README", "NEWS", etc. and I want to make general targets for
  "readme.pdf", "news.pdf" that each depend on the respective file
  without having to list them explicitly.

If it's not immediately possible, is there any way to "emulate" this
behavior?

--
Gustav Broberg