make.err:make[1]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable

From: Michael Muratet
Subject: make.err:make[1]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:51:31 -0500

Greetings

I am using a data processing application that uses make for its implementation. The application is a set of python scripts that write out Makefiles and the user launches the analysis by typing make -j n target. I suspect the authors were looking for a cheap way to get parallelization. The make takes many hours to run in most cases, executing a variety of c methods and scripts. My problem comes about when make tries to launch a new thread:

make.err:make[1]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable

I suspect that the resource it wants is swap space, I can see that it occasionally fills up and I am working on fixing that. But failing that, is there a way to get make to tell me what it lacks?

I am on a Penguin Computing scyld cluster with Relion 1702 compute nodes, kernel=

Linux scyld.localdomain 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.530g0000 #1 SMP Tue Mar 17 21:49:24 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and the latest Centos linux.

Thanks

Mike