Version Number counting

From: Erik Rull
Subject: Version Number counting
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:39:03 +0200

Hi all,

I want to increase the version number automatically (script, makefile,...)
if the structure definition of my shared library has changed.

My questions regarding that:
- The brute force way would be the checking of the .h-file modification
date (easily done via makefile). Is there a smart way of handling real
structure changes automatically? (E.g. if there is a #define directive
within the .h file and I change it, it would cause a version increase, or
worst case if I add a blank line somewhere it would increase too)
- My code is checked into a CVS system. If there would be an automatically
changing of version numbers within the makefiles, each person that
retrieves the update also increases the version number which could lead
into more and more increasing numbers (x has compiled and checked in V1, y
checks out via update, compiles (version changes also detected due to the
differences in CVS) and increases to V2, if then checked in, z checks out
and increases again to V3 and so on). I want to ensure that only the person
that did the modifications increases the version number once, but
automatically.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Erik