Re: How to disable "make[1]: Warning: File `somefile' has modification t

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: How to disable "make[1]: Warning: File `somefile' has modification time 53 s in the future"?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:25:41 -0500

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:04 -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
>> I want to disable the warning shown in the title.
>
> You can't, except by fixing your environment so the timestamps on your
> system are coherent.  Most likely this is caused by trying to write
> files to a networked file server where your system and the server have a
> different system time: you will never be able to correctly build files
> with make in that environment, so you'll have to fix the problem.

I'm not sure why this matters.

If all the targets and dependencies are off by the same amount of
time, then the build will not be wrong. I think that only if targets
and dependencies are off by different amount of time (which means that
they are on different network file systems) then the build may be
wrong. But all my targets and dependencies are on the same network
file system. Then where some files are in the future or not doesn't
matter, having these warnings are just annoy. Therefore, in this
situation, I think that it is making sense to have an option to
disable such warnings.

A side question. How to set two systems to have coherent time? Right
now, I have two systems that synchronize with a public time server
every day. But as you see their time is off for some reason. I guess
the only option to synchronize one machine to another, rather than
both synchronize to a public time server.

> PS. If you look at the source code you can easily determine that there's
> no way to avoid this message: you can see that where it's printed there
> is no "if (some-flag-is-set)" or similar that would keep it from
> printing.

I don't have time to read the source code of make. But based on my
above reason. Is it making sense to add an option to disable such
warnings?

--
Regards,
Peng