Re: How to check version of Make in FreeBSD

From: John Hein
Subject: Re: How to check version of Make in FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 17:51:24 -0600

Chetan Shukla chetan.shukla-at-aricent.com |gmake help list| wrote at 15:31
+0530 on Oct  1, 2010:
 > Hi,
 > I am working on some code porting activity that iwants
 > Some code to be ported on FreeBSD.
 > I need to check the version of Make installed in FreeBSD.
 > Make -v does not help here.
 > What is the similar command in FreeBSD ?

Wrong list for questions about bsd make, but...

It's in a builtin make variable:

make -V MAKE_VERSION

It is only bumped if there is deemed some feature that may affect
compatibility in Makefiles.  That's sort of subjective, but can be
used in combination with the OS version since make(1) is in the base
OS.

>From the commit comment that introduced it...

Version has the RYYYYMMDDX format, where R is from RELENG_<R> and
X allows for 10 distinguishable changes per day.