Re: Measure time spent in each target of a Makefile

From: Matthias Puech
Subject: Re: Measure time spent in each target of a Makefile
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 18:29:43 +0200

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am sorry, my question was not clear enough. I am aware of the SHELL trick but it doesn't quite fit my needs. I need to be able to know the time taken by each *target*, not just the commands launched. For example if I have:

.PHONY: all binary doc
all: binary doc
binary: bin/exec
doc: doc/refman.pdf html
html: ...

I would like to see (or construct) something like:

all: 5s
  binary: 2s
    [all sub-targets of binary]
  doc: 3s
    doc/refman.pdf: pdflatex doc/refman.tex (1s)
    [all sub-targets of doc] (2s)

I could of course sum all the times taken by ([time]-wrapped) commands in a given sub-target, but then how to know in which target, sub-target etc. I am in? Maybe the right question is then:

How can I pass to the SHELL command the *list* of targets this command is executed for. $@ doesn't suffice since I need the whole path. Example: when the pdflatex command is run, I need to retrieve:

all :: doc :: doc/refman.pdf

Thank you very much for any advice,
        -m

PS: could you cc me in reply, I'm not subscribed to the list?