Measure time spent in each target of a Makefile

From: Matthias Puech
Subject: Measure time spent in each target of a Makefile
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 09:13:01 +0200

Dear make users,

I posted this question to stackoverflow some days ago and got no good answer. I
am thinking about implementing it myself in make but I'd first like to know if
you have a solution or a hint.

Is there a way to echo the (system, user, real) time spent in each target of a
Makefile recursively when I do make all?

I'd like to benchmark the compilation of a project in a more granular way than
just time make all. Ideally, it would echo a tree of the executed target, each
one with the time spent in all its dependencies. It'd be great also if it could
work with -j (parallel make). And by the way my Makefile is non-recursive
(doesn't spawn another make instance for each main targets).

Thank you in advance,
        -m