Re: How to detect program path?

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: How to detect program path?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:56:52 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM, narke <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 17 August 2011 01:54, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think what narke is saying is that he doesn't HAVE the full pathname.
>> He just has the name of the executable itself.  He wants make to FIND
>> the fully-qualified pathname.
>
> Yes, exactly.  By far warlich's solution should work, but it really
> slow.  May there not exists a good solution and I'd better have the
> user to provide the path in an environment variable.

Well, your request is still underspecified, so the response filled in
one possible answer.  In this case: you want it to find the
fully-qualified path, but you didn't say whether you wanted it to do
that every time (what if it changes between runs!) or only do so the
first time in a build directory and then cache it after that.  Or
maybe cache it as long as the cached path is still present?  Some
other criteria for deciding to not do the work of searching the entire
filesystem?

Philip Guenther