Library linking

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Library linking
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 14:29:23 +0100

Hi guys,

I'm using GNU make 3.81 on Debian 6.0.2 (Squeeze) and I'm setting up a
project which generates a couple of libraries and then links them with
other stuff later to form an executable, fairly trivial stuff.

I want to use the link library search feature :

all: hello

libhello.a: hellolib.o
        $(AR) rcs $@ $^

hello : -lhello hello.o
        gcc -o $@ $^

However, this complains that it can't find "-lhello". I ran with -d
and there's no sign of it expanding the -lhello into libhello.a.

Is there something silly I'm missing, or is this feature only intended
to search for pre-existing libraries ?

Brendan