VPATH problem (make fails first time but succeeds second time)

From: Li Dong
Subject: VPATH problem (make fails first time but succeeds second time)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:44:14 +0800

Dear all,

I have encountered a problem with VPATH (details are in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17790125/make-implicit-rule-fails-at-first-time-but-succeeds-at-second-time),
 and I have searched out for information and got:

If a target needs to be rebuilt, GNU make discards the file name found during
the VPATH search for this target, and builds the file locally using the file
name given in the makefile. If a target does not need to be rebuilt, GNU make
uses the file name found during the VPATH search.

How could I tell make not to discard the file name? And I have tried GPATH, but
it is worse. Any idea?

Best regards,

Li