./configure Make sources runs, but compiled make segfaults - is this a b

From: Mark Galeck
Subject: ./configure Make sources runs, but compiled make segfaults - is this a bug?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 13:37:26 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,  I have another question today...
I change source of GNU Make a little (thank you Paul for the suggestion!).
I run ./configure then make (existing make) to build the changed sources.  But
then
>./make
immediately segfaults...

Yes this is some non-standard Linux system - a chroot jail in fact.  But
./configure ran successfully, so I thought, I should be able to run the
compiled ./make
Is this reasoning correct and does that mean it is a Make bug?
I tried 3.81 - works.  But 4.1, segfaults...

Mark