Re: ./configure Make sources runs, but compiled make segfaults - is this

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: ./configure Make sources runs, but compiled make segfaults - is this a bug?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 11:34:00 -0400

On Tue, 2015-10-13 at 13:37 +0000, Mark Galeck wrote:
> Hello,  I have another question today...
> I change source of GNU Make a little (thank you Paul for the
> suggestion!).
> I run ./configure then make (existing make) to build the changed
> sources.  But then
> >./make
> immediately segfaults...
>
> Yes this is some non-standard Linux system - a chroot jail in fact.
>  But ./configure ran successfully, so I thought, I should be able to
> run the compiled ./make
> Is this reasoning correct and does that mean it is a Make bug?
> I tried 3.81 - works.  But 4.1, segfaults...

I can't give you any advice, based on this information.  Clearly the
source in the 4.1 tarball works, or we'd know about it by now.

You'll have to investigate.  Does the resulting make pass its regression
tests ("make check" after you build it)?  If not, then likely there's
some kind of environmental problem on your system.  If it does but fails
on your makefiles, then likely there's a bug in 4.1 which is tickled by
your makefiles.

Of course you can make the same change I recommended on an older version
of make if that works better for you... this "fast path" facility has
been around since before I started maintaining GNU make.