Re: How to resolve implicit dependencies

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: How to resolve implicit dependencies
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 14:46:57 +1000

> On 15 Jul 2016, at 01:46, Adrian Muresan <address@hidden> wrote:

[…]

> What I need is an OS utility that will detect every read/write action my
> build performs AND the ability to attribute
>
> those filesystem-level operations to the makefile target that performs them.

Not exactly an OS utility, but Git can track filesystem operations, attribute
them to a target, and help with re-ordering builds to find undeclared
dependencies. The basic idea is to build each target in a branch with it’s
declared dependencies as parents. Then run a second pass with undeclared
targets `checked out` prior to build and compare the results[1].

A simpler first pass could be to simply build each target with a commit and
compare the files changed between commits.

Cheers,

Tony

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/1111