Combine AR support with autodependencies

From: jandyman
Subject: Combine AR support with autodependencies
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:36:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've been trying to understand how to get the support for archive files to
work in conjunction with reading in files with auto dependencies for the .o
files. The documentation for archive support does help as it is not a model
of clarity. My experimentation has only led to further confusion regarding
the internal rules of this function.

My goal is to be able to not save .o files "permanently", using archive
files instead, but also be able to state the dependencies of member .o files
so that the archive members are remade when the appropriate .h files change.
I have not figured out to do this. Of course in order to do this, make must
talk to ar to get the timestamps of members of the archive, but the
documentation seems to imply this capability exists.

Does anyone have an example of this, or can explain a little better how the
archive support works under the hood? As mentioned above the GNU manual is
rather unclear in this section.

Thanks in advance for help!