Re: Make and Clusters

From: Martin d'Anjou
Subject: Re: Make and Clusters
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 22:15:40 -0400

Hi David,

I explored this problem a while ago. I captured my musings in a blog:
https://ninjaverification.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/overriding-gnu-make-shell-variable-for-massive-parallel-make/

In the end the idea is to have make call out to a job scheduler as part
of the target recipe. This is the method I use and it works really well.

One problem I still have though is that if one of the parallel jobs
aborts and compromises the whole build, make will wait for all other
in-flight jobs to finish before itself returning. At the time I had
manually patched my local copy of GNU Make, but the patch no longer
applies and I have not gotten back to it. Here is a reference in case
you find it useful:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41781

Best,
Martin