Re: Make and Clusters

From: Tim Murphy
Subject: Re: Make and Clusters
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:41:31 +0100

Hi,

Firstly I must warn you that I am an interested party since I do consulting
related to this product but I did use it purely as a customer for several
years.

Electric Accelerator is pretty much the pièce de résistance for running GNU
Make and Ninja makefiles on clusters and there is a free evaluation version.

It solves several of your problems:
1)  Making sure the files you need (including tools and source) are
available to every machine in your cluster.  You never have to manage this
or debug whether all your machines have been kept uptodate or provide NFS
mounts everywhere or manage NIS authentication or any of that stuff.
2) It spots problems in your makefiles where tasks are run in the wrong
order - this usually happens because there isn't enough dependency
information in the makefiles.
3) There is a tool called Electric Insight which lets you visualise the
build across your cluster and the analysis tools and reporting on this are
incredible for helping to fix performance or correctness problems.

http://electric-cloud.com/products/electricaccelerator/

Scroll down to the "Use it for free" link.   There are a few limitations to
the free version but they don't generally matter too much if you're not
supporting 100s of users and if you find it very useful you can now get
team licenses priced so that you don't have to be a huge company to afford
it which is a welcome new change.

Regards,

Tim