Re: Help needed for writing a rule

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: Help needed for writing a rule
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:49:11 -0800

On 2022-11-25 09:06, Patrick Begou wrote:
> @David I think I'll have the same pitfall than with Kaz strategy. No ?

The strategy with regard to dependencies is to isolate the
compiler that is fussy about upper case, but deal with lower
case everywhere else.

Imagine we had a C compiler that needed upper case:

   foo.o: foo.c           # dependencies know nothing about FOO.o or FOO.c
      ln -sf foo.c FOO.c  # make temporary FOO.c -> foo.c symlink
      $(CC) FOO.c -c      # compile FOO.c to FOO.o
      rm -f FOO.c         # don't need symlink any more
      mv FOO.o foo.o      # rename to lower case

We're basically scripting around the compiler to make it
look like it accepts and produces lower case; we confine
all that into the small "firewall" around the compiler,
and prevent that from spreading into our build system.