Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problems building 1.95.5

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problems building 1.95.5
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 20:45:17 +0100

> looks downright screwy, failing during the mark and sweep of the gc.

Something of interest to all: if you find a similar bug, try building
the image from the command line with the -Vi options, or reconfiguring
with --enable-checking.  The former will let me position the error
better (the newest versions do two GCs, one minor and one major, while
the image is built), and the former will make the GC print error
messages (that are sometimes even more
helpful than the backtrace) and also try to recover (i.e. you get an
almost-usable image).

Anyway, back to the bug.  Were you using "off-the-shelf" source code or
did you modify it?  This is because today I made some modifications to
the kernel and this triggered the bug -- if you modified it, the reason
would be that the 1.95.5 image was "almost" causing it, but not
exactly.  The bug triggers under very particular conditions (a GC is
started from fileSegmentNew, for the first method in a file), and is a
simple dangling pointer error that was there even before I took over GNU
Smalltalk.  Here is a patch to fix it.

Paolo