Re: [Help-smalltalk] adding smalltalk-mode to ELPA?

From: Holger Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] adding smalltalk-mode to ELPA?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 23:54:29 +0000

> On 26. Mar 2019, at 22:46, bill-auger <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:51:34 -0400 Stefan wrote:
>> Anyway, from what I understand, you have no intention of moving
>> smalltalk-mode.el elsewhere nor to spend your time with a 2-way sync.
>> In that case, I think it's best not to add smalltalk-mode.el to GNU
>> ELPA to avoid the risk of a fork.
>
> i am not a member of the smalltalk dev team, they are listed on
> savannah[1] - i was only offering some general observations,
> anticipating what i would expect to be the response of most upstreams
> when asked to to do the things you are suggesting

I am currently not a GNU Emacs user and as a result have been quiet on
this topic.

There seems to be benefit[1] to move the smalltalk-model.el into the GNU
ELPA repository. I can check what rms wrote but I need one of you to do
the actual move.

holger

[1] It seems easier to enable the mode. It increases the visibility of
GNU Smalltalk and Smalltalk in general to emacs users.