Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 12:29:20 -0500

> It would be a good idea to have the modification below in the gnu smalltalk
> git repository;
> it's coherent with the comments on _ and := in the GNU smalltalk manual,
> that those are both accepted by gnu smalltalk as assignment.

I don't have access to the Smalltalk Git, but if there's a consensus
that displaying `_` as a left arrow just like `:=` is a better choice,
I'll be happy to change it in the GNU ELPA package
(http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/smalltalk-mode.html)

> By the way, comments are enclosed in double quotes "" but what I observe
> with the Alto Smalltalk-72 font,
> is that those are printed as 'fingers' symbols, but I doubt that is current
> practice.

Also I'm not sure it'd be helpful: the purpose of displaying `_` and
`:=` as an arrow is that it's meant to express the semantics in a more
intuitive way, whereas I don't know that "fingers" would express the
notion of comment more intuitively (also I'm not sure which Unicode char
would be used for that, but a quick look here with `C-x 8 RET` didn't
turn up anything covered by my currently installed fonts).
Nowadays coloring is more traditionally used to indicate that something
is a comment.

> Also the ! character is printed as a doubled up-arrow.

Similarly here, I don't see why a doubled up-arrow (I guess `⇑` ?)
would convey the semantics in a more intuitive manner than a `!`.
So I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble.

        Stefan