Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:44:29 -0500

stes@PANDORA.BE writes:

> I'm using the underscore (_) as assignment operator;
>
> As far as I can see, both Squeak and GNU smalltalk accept and support "_" as
> assignment;

Accept, but not encourage. None of the GNU smalltak and Squeak's official
example code use it. ":=" at least is a cognate from Pascal, what else is
using "_" ?

As a language GNU smalltalk has to be compatible; as a editor package
smalltalk-mode needs to promote best practices. The problem with
underscore is it is white space sensitive, and that can throw many
people off:

a_-1
a _-1

Both are valid smalltalk expressions.