help-tar

Re: Corrupcion in Tar Archive with use LTO tape

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Corrupcion in Tar Archive with use LTO tape
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 11:52:31 -0500

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 3:32 AM alvarg <gameboylandia@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use UPS but being large tapes with a lot of space and backing up gigabytes
> and gigabytes there is no UPS that can handle the situation.  It cuts hours
> and when the UPS runs out after hours it continues copying.  your solution is
> correct and i have seen it.  but I consider it impractical for LTO tapes,

Off-topic, I used to have to manage backups on LTO tapes back in the
mid-2000's. It was a constant source of problems, like the ones you
encounter.

We moved away from LTO and switched to a SAN connected to the backup
server with an iSCSI interface. Most of the problems went away after
switching to disks. Disks were faster than LTO, and iSCSI was more
than enough to handle the backup traffic. There were also fewer disks
than tapes so the offsite backup package got smaller.

You might consider doing the same since disks are so inexpensive. Sell
the used tape deck, libraries and tapes on eBay. It will pay for the
SAN. Buy a LTO degausser for the bulk erase
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IBZZUUK).

Jeff