pdftex with @image

From: Mark Tigges
Subject: pdftex with @image
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:43:16 -0800

Hi,

I am relatively new to texinfo so please forgive me if I am having only
a beginners problem.

I am trying to use texinfo to build documentation for html,info and pdf,
it is working beautifully.  Except today I have tried to use images for
the first time.

I wanted to create the images in xfig and use the build system to
fig2dev them as needed.  Unfortunately when I try to use the image.pdf
that fig2dev produces in the pdftex run I get the following error:

<-------------------------------
! Missing { inserted.
<to be read again>
<argument> @pdfimage l
                      ens.pdf
@centerline #1->@line address@hidden #1
                              @hss }
@imagexxx ... @else @centerline address@hidden #1.pdf}
                                                  @fi
@image ...sftrue @fi @else @imagexxx #1,,,@finish
                                                  @fi
l.48 @image{lens}

?
! Emergency stop.
<to be read again>
<argument> @pdfimage l
                      ens.pdf
@centerline #1->@line address@hidden #1
                              @hss }
@imagexxx ... @else @centerline address@hidden #1.pdf}
                                                  @fi
@image ...sftrue @fi @else @imagexxx #1,,,@finish
                                                  @fi
l.48 @image{lens}

Error: pdftex (file address@hidden): cannot open image file
-------------------------------->

Neither makeinfo or texi2html seem to have any problem with the texinfo
source, @image{lens}, no width height parameters.

The html output uses the png correctly, and the info output uses the txt
correctly, so I am reasonably sure the texinfo system for those outputs
is working fine.  The pdf file for the figure does exist and looks
correct when I view it in acroread and gs so the input lens.pdf is ok.

I tried the very latest texinfo.tex from texinfo.org, so I have the
latest there, my pdfTeX is 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1), so it isn't the
latest snapshot.

I am wondering if anybody knows what is causing the problem?

I have tried building dvi and converting (using eps images) to pdf from
there and that works fine, but I don't get hypertext or bookmarks in the
pdf which is quite nice so I would prefer to use pdfTeX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I understand that the pdf
support is basic, but I am hoping there is something wrong on my side.

Cheers,
Mark.