how to setup info?

From: Gerrit P. Haase
Subject: how to setup info?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:28:20 +0100

Hi there,

i'm Gerrit, i subscribed this list, because i'm fighting with info.exe.

I looked through the texinfo manual, there is a paragraph about install-
info, but i didn't get it running.
I think it should be possible to set up a dir-file of all info files on
my system, but everytime i tried, only one info-page was listed in the
dir file.
There is no simple examaple, how to setup an initial dir-file, or am i
blind?
i really only want to type in one command and get a list of my info
files, so that i can access them.
I hope, s.o. could give me a hint, because i tried hard to find an
answer in the man(info)-page at my system, i read an hour in the manual
at gnu.org, but i couldn't find out how to simply set up the dir file.

Only way i see is, to add every file by hand, and as i tried this, i
doesn't work with info-files like automake.info.gz.

Thanks in advance,
--
Gerrit Peter Haase