Re: [help-texinfo] Texi2dvi and non-ascii

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Texi2dvi and non-ascii
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:34:04 -0600

    Yes, I do know about @documentencoding and @documentlanguage, but they
    don't seem to help in the TeX case.

True, they don't.  Implementing 8-bit input for TeX is fraught with
complications, and I still haven't done it for Texinfo.

texi2dvi has options to call the recode program before running TeX to
convert the actual input to Texinfo.  There are still plenty of
limitations, but maybe that would work for you.

The version of texi2dvi in Texinfo CVS might be more robust in this
regard than the version released with 4.8.  You can get it from
savannah.gnu.org.  (I'm not sure if 4.7 had --recode at all.)

Hope this helps,
karl