Re: [help-texinfo] How to make info fail if the topic is not found?

From: Arne Babenhauserheide (IMK)
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] How to make info fail if the topic is not found?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:05:37 +0200

Hi Thien-Thi,

Am 11.04.2013 09:59, schrieb Thien-Thi Nguyen:
> I think ‘-f’ is what you seek.  For example:
>
>         $ alias inf='info -f'
>         $ inf no-such ; echo $?
>         info: no-such: No such file or directory
>         1

That’s great, thank you!

(I did not understand that from the documentation)

`-f FILENAME'
     Specify a particular Info file to visit.  By default, Info visits
     the file `dir'; if you use this option, Info will start with
     `(FILENAME)Top' as the first file and node.

From

$ info -f info-stnd invoking

Problems with that:

- FILENAME: I invoke info to get help, not to open a file. So “Filename”
does not tell me that it essentially means that info also gets a
basename without path. Later on it talks about searching INFOPATH, but
who reads more than the first paragraph, if that first paragraph seems
to show that it’s the wrong option?

- It does not say that info will fail if the file is not found.

Suggestion (not necessarily perfect, but hopefully a start):

`-f NAME'
     Specify a particular Info file or topic to visit.  By default,
     Info visits the file `dir'; if you use this option, Info will
     start with `(NAME)Top' as the first file and node. If no matching
     topic is found, it return with error.

>    remember the line of the cursor in a given node?
>
> Try typing ‘l’ instead of ‘u’.

Cool, thanks!

Best wishes,
Arne