Re: [help-texinfo] No index in PDF manual

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] No index in PDF manual
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 00:56:33 +0000

On 3/31/19 12:05 AM, Gavin Smith wrote:> I'm not sure what the solution is here. I had expected that it would be
more likely that newer texi2dvi would be used with older texinfo.tex
(due to the fact that texinfo.tex is not automatically installed by the
Makefile), but it appears that older texi2dvi is likely used with newer
texinfo.tex.

If the newer version is coming from gnulib, one solution would be to ask
the gnulib maintainers to keep an older version of texinfo.tex in
their repository until the newer version of texi2dvi is more widespread.
Maybe there is some way that texinfo.tex could be removed from
build-aux, too.  (In Texinfo's own sources there is a version of
texinfo.tex added automatically to build-aux, and this has been a source of
confusion in the past, as the extra copy of the file is apparently
unnecessary.)

I tried removing the `texinfo.tex' in `build-aux', but then the PDF wasn't built at all (complaining about not finding `texinfo.tex'). In Gnuastro, the `build-aux/texinfo.tex' is the only one.

Is it possible to add a check in the new `texinfo.tex' file to see if `texi2dvi' accepts the new escape character or not, and use the old character if it doesn't?

I know that this is a burden, but it would help in backwards compatibility, and can be fully removed in a year or two (when the next version is widely used).

Another solution that comes to my mind, maybe to release the next Texinfo soon, so we can build, install and use it.

Since many GNU programs use Gnulib, this problem might pop up more often soon, once their next versions are being released. It is hard to notice (the indices are in the end of the PDF and not immediately visible for someone not familiar with this problem).

Thanks a lot,
Mohammad