Re: [help-texinfo] No index in PDF manual

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] No index in PDF manual
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 00:40:14 +0100

On 3/31/19 12:30 PM, Gavin Smith wrote:
How is texinfo.tex being copied into build-aux?  I found that 'automake
--add-missing' would add it, but when I tested with 'gnulib-tool
--add-import' and 'gnulib-tool --update', it wasn't.

Attached I am sending the part of the output of Gnuastro's `build-aux/bootstrap' script (a configurable wrapper for gnulib-tool), where `texinfo.tex' is imported.

It defines `texinfo.tex' as one of `gnulib_extra_files' to be installed:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/build-aux/bootstrap#n199

I have sent an email to ask about the version of texinfo.tex in gnulib,
so let's see what comes back from there first - a change there could be
the better solution.

Fortunately this seems to have worked:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=834bd58e6

I just pulled and used it to bootstrap Gnuastro without any manual intervention and the problem was fixed.

Another solution that comes to my mind, maybe to release the next Texinfo
soon, so we can build, install and use it.

Yes, that would certainly move things towards this not being a problem
any more, even if there is some initial disruption.

I look forward to the new release.

The only versions of texinfo.tex that should be used generally are
either those on ftp.gnu.org, or those inside official releases.  The
versions in the git repository are mainly for internal development of
Texinfo only.  If this is followed, then there is less chance of
problems like this occurring.

Yes, I agree, after noticing that Gnulib also imports `texinfo.tex', I removed our own copy and just relied on Gnulib's import. I didn't have a problem until now, but indeed, what you say makes sense. Maybe it should be removed from Gnulib's automatic importing by the bootstrap script so the maintainers manage their own controlled copy.

Thanks a lot for the very complete and informative replies.
I am very happy this problem was fixed so promptly,

Cheers,
Mohammad