Re: @menu puts too many restrictions to produce the .info file

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: @menu puts too many restrictions to produce the .info file
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:43:23 +0200

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 03:31:10PM +0200, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> It should not be assumed that the author made mistakes. At least
> not problems with how one structures the document. Because when
> using texi2pdf all of that is acceptable.

On the one hand I agree that it may be annoying for a user to have
warnings for intentionnal and valid code, on the other hand, most of the
users are happy with the tree structure and it is indeed a mistake when
the menu structure does not follow the tree structure.  So I think that
using a customization variable is ok to begin with, and it could even be
decided later that it is on in the default case.  But let's see if Gavin
says something on that.

> Let's start with a useful case. Let's forget about subsections for now.
>

> Test 1:
>
> Suppose I change the last @node to @anchor. Makeinfo will complain that
> menu and sections are not in order.
>
> If you try to mouse click on the menu at the location of the @anchor,
> the Anchor Reference will not work.

I agree that it is a relevant case.  I'll try to have a look at that in
the week end if nobody else do it before.

--
Pat