Re: @menu puts too many restrictions to produce the .info file

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: @menu puts too many restrictions to produce the .info file
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 22:49:29 +0200

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 05:59:56PM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 04:53:11PM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> > If an author wants to have irregular menu or node structures for some
> > reason (I haven't made sense exactly of what Christopher is doing
> > with his documents) then they could use explicit node pointers,
> > specifying Next/Prev/Up for each node.
>
> Another idea is to make it so that if a node has explicit node
> pointers, then its menu would not be used to determine structural
> relations between nodes.  The menu, along with the node pointers, would
> be trusted to be correct, and intended by the author, but not used
> for anything else.

I was certain that it was already the case...

> We'd need specifics of possible irregular document structures to know
> how well this idea would work.

As I said in another mail, to me the only constraint should be that any
node is reachable from any point in the document through nodes or menus.
Other than that, I do not think that we need to put constraints,
although we could want to have warning messages for unusual structures.

--
Pat